I was just over at Pink Granite's blog and she was talking about a tornado warning they had yesterday afternoon. She was talking about what to take in the event of an emergency and it got me thinking a little...
You see, I don't value material possessions highly at all, so what would I grab in the event of something happening? Don't get me wrong, material things are nice to have and I'll look after what I've got. I definitely enjoy buying (and being given) nice things, but they're all disposable and can be replaced. One day when I die, Jake'll chuck half my stuff on the braai anyway, but they're things I enjoy while I'm here. Not that I have a lot of anything anyway (I still prefer to travel rather then shop), but still... So, hypothetically, if you were warned of a looming tornado, what would you grab. I mean besides family and pets? I guess it depends on how much warning you've got and your means of transport. For me, there's no question about it and my family all know already, if there's a fire in our house, grab my box of negatives and photo CDs. They're my life. Besides that, I'd have to say that I'd want the 15L bottle of wine that Jacques made for Jake's 21st. Besides those items, there's nothing that I can't live without. They're sentimental items that I love having around me and I'd just die if something happened to my photos (not really, but you know what I mean). Sure, I have other things, especially of Jacques', that mean a lot to me too, but for now, they're all tucked away in boxes so I never see them anyway. What difference would it make to lose them right now? Jake would probably be screaming for his stuffed elephant, Apple, so I'd probably grab him for the sake of keeping the peace...
Cape Town's quite well protected from disasters though. I have thought about what would happen if we were hit by a Tsunami though - just imagine!! We're surrounded by oceans, the whole place would be washed away. It's flat out there. We've had a few tremors and once an earthquake (before my time) and I hear there's a fault line running through Milnerton, which is literally around the corner, so if that ever decided to throw a wobbly, we'd probably feel it. We don't get snow, so freezing up's not an issue either. It's just the winter rains that hit the people who can least afford it. But, generally, we're pretty lucky.
Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Lots of love,
Sue
1 comment:
Hi Sue -
Very thoughtful post.
I too have photographs near the very top of my list.
I think at this point grabbing my laptop would be a way of getting many photographs and lots of important information out the door to safety.
Truthfully, so many "things" would be nice to have, but very few would be absolutely vital.
- Lee
Post a Comment