Monday, June 3, 2013

Remembering...

 So, this weekend I managed to finish off my photo story.  The weather was revolting, but it gave me a good excuse to stay inside and choose pictures and get my head around what I'm going to do.  I might still change a few things, but for now, this works for me.  I have tried to do a quick edit in Photoshop, so hopefully I'll be able to ask my lecturer this evening for her opinion on my editing skills.  My personal feeling is less is more and I like to try get my snaps as good as possible when I take them.  Jake loves these photos.  I'm still undecided whether I want the child to be faceless, or whether I'm going to share my precious boy with the viewers.

Anway, my story starts with image number 1 - a boy looking through old photos.  Some of Jake as a baby with Jacques, some of Jacques as a winemaker.

Image 2, is the entrance to the farm, where the story all began, really...
 Image 3, Jake walking down the lane, into the farm...
Image 4, he passes vineyards and manor house (you've seen this shot before)...
 Image 5, he makes his way up a hill...
 Image 6, was quite a sentimental one for me.  Jake has been to the remembrance cross twice now and he says he feels quite sad to know that's where his dads ashes are.  He put a rock next to the cross when we visited on Friday...
Image 7, oh this tugs at all my heart strings. I really love this photo too...
 Image 8, to end off with the cellar in the background and Jake messing around with the vines...
 I like Image 9 too, but not sure whether to include it some how.  I'm only allowed a maximum of 8 photos, so it's quite tricky narrowing it down.  I like that this includes the dates though and that it's so weathered now.  Perhaps with the dates, the viewer would realise that this was his father's life we're remembering here...But you can see the dates in image 7 too...
 Image 10, is another very poigniant shot, shows the valley nicely in the background...
Image 11, I like this one of the cross too...
 Image 12. And this one that looks like Jake is saying a little prayer there too...
So what do you think?  Which are your favourites?  I have done some editing in Photoshop and when I'm happy with these, I'll post my final, updated story online too.

I hope you managed to keep super warm over the icy weekend, for those of you living in Cape Town.  We've had so much hail and rain and cold temperatures, it was really difficult getting out of bed this morning!!  We had a super, relaxing weekend and for the first time in ages had very little planned.  So wonderful to have some time in our beautiful little home.

Sending much love,
Sue X

PS.  After chatting to friends, I think I'm going to leave off the picture of the entrance to the farm, it really doesn't matter where the photos were taken, although it does matter that it's a wine farm.  I am probably now going to end off with image 1, so there'll be a boy walking through the farm and then arriving at the cross and ending off with photo album, perhaps a close up of his hand holding a picture of Jacques.  Not sure which "cross" images to use though, so let me know what you think!!

5 comments:

cat said...

Beautiful and very personal. I would use no 1 or no 3 of the cross.

Maybe it helped you too? Working through all this?

Pink Granite said...

They are all fine photographs. And they all deserve a place of honor in your memory books and your home.
Knowing you are allowed only eight photos, I would remove 2, 5, 6, 11.
I do like beginning with the Jake viewing the photo book.
Best of luck with the project and thank you for sharing all of these beautiful and poignant photographs with us.
- Lee

Anonymous said...

Love these Sue. Going to look again later, have to run into class xxx pia

Pia said...

I agree, leave off the entrance. Like the journey of Jake walking and the viewer wonders where/why. I would show the story of him walking, then the final shot should have the cross. So i would show the wondering, walking, ... Then finally the cross. I wouldn't show his face, makes more impact that way. Love the photos! X

Wendy said...

agreed with everyone above but am a bit late to the party. I think the cross with the dates is very poignant and the cross without jakes face does make an impact. Thanks for sharing them sue
xxx