Friday, April 7, 2017

So much to say...

And it seems, just not enough time to say it all...  As usual, life is crazy busy.  We've completed high school applications and Jake has decided of his own accord to give our local high school a chance.  I think the long-term realization of early mornings and friends far away lost it's appeal before it'd even begun!  I am slightly relieved - one has to remember that I am a single mom and that the responsibility of getting my son to and from school falls solely on my shoulders.  I'm comfortable with the decision that I've made and hopefully it will be a positive experience for Jake.  He is quite strong academically and I can only hope that he puts his head down and pushes forward.  Success isn't achieved without hard work...

Jo and Paul are on holiday in Italy, ski'ing with their kids and it sounds like they're having a wonderful time.  Jo wasn't looking forward to it at all - it wasn't her idea of a holiday, but we've seen videos of her ski'ing and she looks like a pro.  They are all having a ball and really enjoying the novelty of the snow!

Jake's on holiday at the moment and has enjoyed lying in a bit in the mornings, as well as spending time with Gogga.  He's had time to relax and do very little, although he tells me that he's going to start with term 2 exam prep next week while he has a bit of time to get ahead.  Whether he actually does this, well, I'll have to wait and see.  He didn't do as well as usual this last term and was disappointed with some of his marks (42% for Geography - down from 91% at the end of last year!).  It was a good lesson for him, especially since I've taken a bit of a step back from his studies - they're his and I'll ask questions, but he needs to study on his own. 

Other Jake news, we went to the orthodontist this week and it looks like Jake will be getting braces later this year.  He has a few adult molars that need to come down a bit before he can be properly assessed, but his bit isn't correct in front and so it's looking like a fairly sure thing.  It won't be a cheap exercise, but I really like the orthodontist.  Coincidentally, he did Jacques' braces when he was a kid too.

Jake and I have started our big count-down for our next Kruger holiday (it's still 12 weeks till we leave) - there's so much to get through before then, but it's awesome to have something to look forward to.  Kruger really is our favourite place in the whole world!

Jake and I were planning to have a big party for our birthdays this year, since he turns 13 the day before I turn 40, but after lots of careful consideration, we've decided that it's a lot of money to spend on one night and so have decided that we'd rather just do something with our family.  No doubt there will be dinners and braai's around the time, but more casual.  Paul was actually the convincing factor, when he pointed out that Jake and I could visit NYC instead of having a party and that was it.  We love to travel.  No plans for NYC, but we'll leave the money in the bank for one day.

Hope everyone's well.

Sending love,
Sue xxx

No comments: