To say that it's been a crazy time for us, would be a serious understatement. From one thing to the next, it's just been insane...
It started with Jake and his dental issues. We regularly visit the oral hygienist and if she's worried about anything, we're referred from her to the dentist, which is what happened at our last appointment. She discovered a hole in one of Jake's permanent molars and he was referred to the dentist. We were fortunate and managed to get an appointment within the following week. Jake was nervous, but keen to get the problem sorted out.
Unfortunately, after hearing the dentist go on and on about the necessity of good brushing habits, when Dr G proceeded to whip out his HUGE syringe with LONG needle affixed to the end, Jake clammed up. An hour later, much talking and bribery, we left without having the filling done. Jake was bitterly disappointed and I was quite upset - dentists are not cheap! Our next appointment was made for a full month later
After chatting to a friend, I decided to try her more kid-friendly dentist. Our new dentist, Dr B is not contracted to medical aid (health insurance) rates, so she's really expensive. She's young though and has a TV up on the ceiling and really got down onto Jake's level. She never uses the words, needle, injection, pain, which is far better when your child is terrified of needles. She managed to use her "wand" to put a small amount of anaesthetic into Jake's mouth, but he got such a fright when it pinched him, that he jerked away and clammed up again. By the time, he'd decided to be brave again, the first lot of anaesthetic had worn off and the dentist had run out of time. So, that was our second full hour's app.
Again, we were lucky enough to get a second (now our 3rd attempt) appointment fairly soon after the first with Dr B and Jake was definitely going to have his tooth filled. He'd been threatened within an inch of his life. He was so brave, I was so proud of him. He managed to have the full anaesthetic, however when Dr B started drilling, her nearly flew off the chair. She tried a few times and eventually gave up. Apparently in kids, sometimes the sensation between the vibration and sound of the drill gets confused with pain. Our only option - sedation.
So, that was it. An appointment was made with the anaesthesiologist to come sedate Jake in the chair, while his filling was done. Jake actually had 3 sites that needed work, two between 2 sets of baby teeth (poor brushing & poor flossing), so sedation it was. I was nervous, Jake was nervous, but he had a pre-med and after that he was like a drunk man, falling all over the show. He was a star when they put the needle in his arm and within an hour, it was all over and I had him safely back in my arms. He's relieved it's done and is now brushing and flossing regularly.
I was ticked off that the first dentist hadn't picked up the 2 other problems, even with X-rays, so we now have a wonderful new dentist and hopefully Jake will grow out of his dentist issues with time. For now, I'm just relieved to have had the work done and that he has no recollection, or fear from it.
Other more minor medical drama, saw me standing on a stray piece of glass in the lounge, after Jake had broken a bowl 2 or 3 weeks earlier. I landed up having to go to the doctor to have it cut out in the surgery, there was no way I could go near it, it was so painful. The injections (2) were not fun, but very necessary and I was very relieved to get the shard out. The piece of glass had actually broken up inside my foot, so it took quite a bit of digging around and the doc said he took quite a bit of tissue out my foot in the process. Needless to say, my foot has been very tender ever since and I'm not 100% convinced that all the glass is out, but it's not sore to walk on. Well, not really...
Further "news" is that my mom broke her foot. She didn't fall, or do anything silly, she simply stepped on it funny and heard it crack as she was going down the stairs into the garden at home. She was OK for a couple of minutes, then couldn't put any weight on it. I knew she was really sore when she told me she needed an X-ray. It was evening and Jake needed feeding and bed, so I was just going to phone Rosanne to ask her to take my mom down to the hospital, when the phone rang and it was Rosanne asking if we had any strong pain killers. She'd fallen at work and thought she'd broken her foot. Jake stayed home with my dad and I carted them both off for X-rays. Both of them have broken the same bones in their feet, on opposite sides (mom's is the left foot, Rosie's the right). Since Rosanne's happened at work, she's been able to claim her expenses through Workman's Compensation. Her break was pretty bad and she's actually going in on Thursday to have a plate put in to hold it all together. Today is 2 weeks since they crazily broke their feet within 20 minutes of each other and Rosanne is still very bruised and swollen. My mom's break has been far less painful, with very little swelling and pretty much zero bruising. She's seeing the orthopedic surgeon next Tuesday, so she's got everything crossed that she doesn't need surgery too.
For me, it's been a busy time. I've been helping out as much as I can with shopping and lifting. With Jake back at school and homework and sport back in full swing, it does get a bit hectic, but I am SO grateful that its not ME that's having to keep my foot up. After Joanne's 2 broken feet earlier this year, our family tally's up to 4 and I think someone's telling us all to take life a little slower. The pace has been far too fast for far too long.
Added to all that, Jake seemed to have had a slight bug over the weekend, but is feeling much better today.
And that brings you all up to speed on why I've been a bit absent on my blog. Hope you'll all forgive me!!!
On a plus, I've started my photography course (last night was my first lecture) and I'm very excited about sharing my photos with you and getting your opinions soon!
Sending lots of love,
Sue xxx
PS. Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected by the Boston bombing yesterday - the world is out of control and my heart is so heavy today for all affected.
4 comments:
Oh wow, lots of medical drama! Poor Jake - I feel the very same about the dentist.
OMW Sue, so much going on in your world. It's really been a whirlwind!
Hope mom's foot is better and hope Rosie's procedure goes well.
The silver lining, Jake's tooth fixed and you found a kid friendly dentist
xoxo
I feel your pain, I absolutely loathe dentist appointments, it scares me just to think of it.
Run Jake, run!
Wow!
Sue!
Reading this summary leaves me slack jawed!
I knew quite a bit about Jake's (and therefore your!) dental adventures, but I didn't know that both Roseanne AND your Mom had broken the same bones in their feet!!!
You must want to wrap everyone you love up in bubble wrap to try to keep them safe.
Wishing everyone all the best!
And thank you for your kind words and prayers for all those in and effected by the bombings in Boston. It means a great deal to have your support. We are so grateful that all our family and friends are safe. And we learned that, as of today, all of the hospitalized injured are now off the critical list. Their courage and spirit inspire us all.
- Lee
Post a Comment