Friday, March 4, 2011

Bitch & Wine...

That's the name of our book club - don't laugh, if you knew us well enough, you'd understand that it's very apt.  Our book club's been running for 8 years this year.  We've had our differences along the way and members have come and gone. 

 From left to right: Amanda, Lauren, Becks, Christina, Lee-Anne, me, Ciska and Joanne.  Belinda's taking the picture and her sister, Wendy, is off on maternity leave after just having her first baby.

Last night, while chatting to the girls, I got thinking about the demographics of our club.  We are officially 10 members now.  Out of the 10, 3 are very single, 3 are married, 3 are divorced, 1 is widowed, 3 have kids, 2 are engaged, 2 have boyfriends, 1 is pregnant, 1 has just given birth, 1 has just gotten married, 1 just divorced 2 are foreigners (incidentally, they're the 2 that are engaged, both to South African men), 1 is just home from a long stint overseas, 1 is about to embark on a 6-week journey to Paris (lucky cow).  At nearly 34, I'm the oldest in our group and often feel like a bit of a wall flower.  Let me say, that this is a wild, crazy group of girls.  I have never lived life the way some of them do.   Not that I regret it, but it is fun seeing and hearing how the other half live. 

Over the 8 years that we've been running, we've seen each other through some pretty hectic stuff.  Breakups and makeups, deaths, divorce, babies and weddings.  For me, when I lost Jacques, hanging out with girlfriends was fabulous.  I didn't feel like the odd one out, I wasn't missing a partner, because he wouldn't have been invited anyway. We all come from very different walks of life, but that's what makes it so interesting.  We have a very strict policy of what happens in book club, stays in book club, so I can't go into more detail about what gets said and done, but it is always interesting.  There are just some things that girls get, that guys don't.  We speak to each other and listen, we empathise without trying to fix things.  It's good to get things in perspective and get other women's opinions.  Women just know women so well and it's always good spending time together. 


I really didn't feel like going out last night, I had a headache and was very tired, but, I had a really lovely evening with the girls.  Even though I got very little sleep last night, hanging out with the girls did me the world of good!!

Till next time,
Cheers! XXX

PS.  So much for book club - I forgot the books at home last night!!

4 comments:

deusl said...

hi book club members, u should come all to vienna to my weekly club on monday with my friends and then we make party together - great what u have my darling - thanks for your blog and we have to write soon - also news in my life. kisses your coffeeboy

Pink Granite said...

Love the name of your club!
It sounds like a great group and surprisingly fluid and flexible over the years.
;o)
- Lee
The P.S. made me chuckle!

caroline Avnit said...

really liked this post. Girlfriends are essential if we are to remain sane!
it was great seeing you this morning xxx

Sue said...

Deusl - I wish!!!

Lee - it's a group I've always felt slightly disconnected from, I'm not at the same place in my life as most of these girls, but it is always fun to be a fly on the wall...

Caz - Always good to see you! The yoga workshop was fantastic and I can't wait for the next one ;o). Lovely to see you at dinner last night too

Sue X