Monday, January 17, 2011

17 January 2011

Today is a very special day for my very special boy.  Today, Jake starts Grade 1 at big school.  To say that he has been excited about starting school, would be an understatement.  He's been counting down the sleeps and just couldn't wait to be able to wear his uniform and start school.  I'm sure he'll change his mind in a few years time, but for now, he just can't wait to start learning.

We were up early, so that Jake could get ready and have breakfast before his visitors arrived to see him all dressed and ready for his first day.  Danie was our designated photographer - thanks, Babe, you did a great job.  I haven't got time to edit any of these pictures - I just have to get them up.  If you wait for me to edit them, it'll be like my Christmas photos...

So, this is Jake dressed in his new uniform about 3 minutes after waking up...
He was having a problem keeping his eyes open for the photos, so he was trying to force his eyes wide open for the camera.  Check how big his bag is for him...

His first visitor was Auntie Tam.  She's teaching at Jake's school for the first term, which is super cool for him.  She brought him a little good luck bunny (he left it at home)...
His Granny and Grandad also popped in...
As did Auntie Rosie and Uncle Gareth.  Connor was there with my parents, but he didn't really want to be in any of the photos.  Connor's top says '100% trouble'..
With Nini and Pa.  My mom said she had a really tough time holding it together this morning...
EXCITED!!!
Becky & Abi were also excited for their first day of the new term.  Becky is starting grade 3 and Abi's going to grade 5.  Jake feels really excited to have his cousins at the same school as him for the first time...
A family snap.  I look like I'm holding in a wee...  thanks for my new dress, Danie xxx
Jake with all his cousins.  Corky really didn't feel like being a part of it.  I can't believe the size difference - almost a head between each age.  Abi's 10, Becky's 8, Jake's 6 and Connor's nearly 2...
Me with the kids without shoes on.  It won't be long before they're all towering above me...
Jake getting a last minute haircut.  I totally forgot about it and he was looking a little woolly around the ears.  Thanks mom!
He is so going to get into trouble for putting his hands in his pockets, but it does look cute.  I might stitch them closed for him...
A last snap of the boys together before heading off to school...
And one of Jake & I...
At school, Jake had to put his bag in the line outside his classroom.  Then we had a bit of time to walk around outside and chat to a few friends who'd come over from other grades to wish Jake well for his first day... 
When the teacher opened the classroom door, we were able to go inside with the kids to see them to their desks and put on their name badges.  Jake is sitting next to Henry and the two of them seemed quite happy to chat to one another.  There are another 4 kids in their little group of desks.  What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall...

All the happy snapping, proud parents.  Jake's teacher is in the pink.  She's very sweet and I just know that Jake is going to have such a happy year with her.  It's hard to believe that by Easter time, he'll be able to read quite a bit.  Shortly after this picture, Mrs Rautenbach greeted all the parents and asked us to say our last goodbyes to the kids.  Jake was totally happy to see us go and he seemed a little disappointed that I hadn't cried over leaving him.  It was hard to be sad, when he was just so, so excited!!!  Quite funny to think that this was my classroom when I was his age - 27 years ago!...

School finishes at 12:30 till the end of Jan and then 1pm after that.  I keep thinking about him and wondering what they're doing.  Right now it's break time and I hope that he's surrounded by lots of new friends while he stuffs his face on a delicious snack that he insisted on packing for himself last night before he went to bed, while I was ironing his uniform. I can't wait to fetch him later to hear all about his fabulous day!  It's just so exciting.

Sue X

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh Mum, the time has just flown! Congrats and here's to a great school career Jake.
Louise

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh - this has got me quite emotional... put a little lump in my throat to see Jake in the Edgemead school uniform! And that case... it's huge! Hope the rest of the day went as well as the start!

Pink Granite said...

Fabulous!
I have to say I am so impressed with how the entire family arrived to celebrate Jake's first day! I've never seen anything like it. Add to that the celebratory way parents are included in settling kids in at school - wonderful.
You all look beautiful.
Many thanks for letting us share in the excitement.

And Jake - study hard, play hard and enjoy it all!
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

O my goodness, that bag! It's almost as big as hime :) First day at big school is so very exciting, I hope the excitement lasts and lasts.

Roo said...

I was terrified when I was dropped off by my mum that first day, but I did make a great friend out of a lad called mark Rogers, and I really wish I knew what he was doing now!

Cheers ;o)