Monday, February 23, 2009
Today...
I'm thinking about our brave firefighters, who are, as we speak, battling the blaze in Somerset West, which is threatening some beautiful wine farms, including Lourensford and Vergelegen. The smoke that's being emitted by these fires is so hectic, that they're unable to send helicopters out to help with extinguishing the blaze. And, while we live about 40kms away from Somerset West, my car was covered in ash this morning when I went out to it. The beautiful blue sky is muddy with smoke. We do normally suffer with fires at this time of the year in Cape Town due to our climate (hot, dry & windy summer conditions). This year has really been no exception and we've had up to 100 fires in just 24 hours - I can only begin to imagine how exhausted our poor firefighters must be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sending you all good wishes for the safety of all concerned, for the winds to die down and for some cooling rains to fall...
- Lee
Post a Comment