Monday, January 20, 2014

The Number 1 Beach House...


 In a relatively short time, Marius' home has become one of my favourite places to be and Jake and I spend most weekends with him in Blaauwberg.  Granted, it's mostly because Marius is there, but I do love how I feel like I'm on holiday every time I visit him.  We love to sit on the balcony, watching the surf and having coffee together (often replaced by wine).  We chat and laugh over the silliest things and time stands still for us for just a few moments.  The kids love being here too and we do take advantage of having the beach on our doorstep!
Marius has had an old tatty "Beach" sign up next to his front door since way before I met him and it's been long overdue replacement.  So, for Christmas, I decided to make him a new one.  I've never done mosaics before, so this was a first attempt and, since I'm sharing photos here, you have to know that I'm very chuffed with how it turned out.

Originally, the sign was going to just say "The Beach House", but since his house is number 1 in his street, it was apt to call it "The Number 1 Beach House".  And there was still enough space to fit in a fish and add a little heart to remind him that it was made with all my love...
 I used tiles to edge it off properly along the sides and the wood was treated, so it shouldn't fall apart any time soon...
  I also found this pretty flower made of shells that fit in perfectly too and I made little "waves" in the space I had left over....
  And it's right up the stairs, next to my hammock...
Hopefully every time Marius sees the sign I made him, he'll think of me and know how much he's loved.  I know that every time I see it, I am reminded by how lucky I am that this is my happy life - who knew!!

Love,
Sue XXX

2 comments:

Lee-Anne Spurdens said...

Sue, that's the most amazing gift! Am inspired now to finally, finally do a mosaic workshop xx

cat said...

Beautiful beautiful mosaics and such a wonderful sentimental gift. Love it