Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Gardens, spiders, flowers...

OK, I'm sure I'm starting to bore everyone with all these blogs, but I don't always get the time to sit and just do one long post, so try divide them up as I get the time to do them. These photos were taken over the weekend at home...

This little worm was sitting half out a tomato in Jake's veggie patch. We've had quite a problem with worms this year. I don't like worms, so this picture freaks me out a little. It gives me goosebumps...

These tiny little flowers grow in clusters in hanging basket in our garden. They attract the ants who drink whatever's hiding underneath the stary part...

Louise over at Dragon Fly has been blogging quite a bit on rain spiders. They're not my favourites and, while they are very pretty, they're also huge. They build big nests with leaves and then lay hundreds of eggs which hatch into baby spiders that grow as big as your hand. This particular nest was built over night and we found it right outside our veggie patch on Sunday morning. The mommy spider hides in the creeper during the day and then climbs onto the nest at night to protect her babies. Jake's enthralled, but again, this photo gives me goosebumps. I need to find a way to get rid of the nest - not kill it, just relocate it to the field behind our house, where the hand-sized spiders can play to their heart's content. My dad has to do this, it's not girl's work and, besides, imagine if that mommy decides to sneak up on you while you're moving her nest...

Does anyone know what these flowers are called? Jake's great grandfather grows them and gave us a few in pots. They multiply really nicely, are really pretty, but are also really prickly. When they first flower, they have beautiful little purple flowers within them - I have photos, somewhere...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

look susie STOP posting spider pictures you meanie. I am almost crying in fear here. I have no idea why we cant build a island somewhere for all spiders *shudder*